Sunday, April 15, 2012

Notes from the first milonga of my life

When I was taking the beginner Argentine tango series with Lori and Sam at Sangha Space, they talked about how great the monthly Tango Hop dance is so much that I had to try it.  My schedule finally allowed it this weekend, so I took the train out to Media in time for the intro lesson.  (Figured it's been a month or longer since I finished the lesson series, so I may as well remind myself what was going on.)  At the end of the lesson they tipped us on how a milonga is structured: a sequence of three songs of similar style is followed by a short non-tango clip (someone later mentioned that's the 'cortina') during which you lead your partner back off the floor; then repeat.  So it seems people usually dance the three songs in a row with one partner before switching.

I watched quite a lot, especially as more experienced dancers filtered in over the course of the night.  Many of those who looked like they know what they're doing were probably middle-aged (much more in line with the westie scene than the lindy/blues scene).  Over my first half hour or so of observation, I began to pick out a few who looked like the good leads I might want to dance with, to begin - theoretically - picking up more of this dance by following.  The beginner's fear/respect kept me from asking any myself, but oddly enough, three of them eventually came and asked me to dance.  Maybe I looked lonely sitting by myself sometimes...?

All of them were quite forgiving and even ran through moves that confused me a couple times or paused to show me how to follow something.  I'm sure I was lacking knowledge of many moves (most noticeable to myself being the flicks, I think) but as to actually following where leads were trying to move on the floor, I think I did pretty well.  Many thanks go to all my following practice from blues for this, I'm sure.  One of them did say I was doing well, which was a lovely compliment for me.  Of course I'm hoping I wasn't screwing up following in a way that somehow still fit into the flow - if I start picking up wrong technique, it'll be detrimental...

The music was mostly traditional but a few of the three-song sets (there must be a name for those) were not tango music at all, so this was basically fusion and of course that made me all happy.  A Melody Gardot song and that song Cyclone both made me want to do blues, naturally.  Others sounded like they could work for country two-step?  But I'm probably just ignorant.  Seeing people dancing to the fast tempos was pretty interesting.  I even survived a round of fast songs myself - a whirlwind ride around the floor; have to say the lead was excellent at weaving around everyone, haha.

I met a girl and a guy who I think both have been taking lessons through the Penn Tango club, as well as a guy who lives in Glenside, and I tried to explain to them all what blues dancing is.  Not that I'm ever able to give a simple yet satisfactory explanation or even demo it too well on my own.  They were all intrigued though which was fun (and sometimes I can't help myself telling how much I like it).

A hilarious surprise was seeing a guy I knew from my original salsa days at Take the Lead.  I had NO idea whatsoever that he also did tango, and then when we danced, he was awesome at it!  And he also managed to correct/teach me a number of things.  Love it.

I met another man, Tony, who started telling me about how he's danced tango for so many years, is totally addicted to it, how his style of leading is different and pulls from the follow's footwork, and what it's like when he goes to Buenos Aires to dance: spending five hours on end dancing, and the older ladies are the best follows.  After somewhat intimidating me with this seemingly nostalgic speech he offered to dance the next little set, and he was really incredible.  I have some doubts that I was doing the footwork all correctly, though...  Wish I could see what I looked like following.

People I wish I had danced with: Sam, Godwin (not only because he's experienced and he rotated through the lessons sometimes, but he once tested my following and said something like, "okay you know what you're doing"...hehe), the guy from Glenside, and Josh who I know from blues - although, I think despite how many times I've danced blues or at Jetlag with him, I'm kind of intimidated to try tango as he looks really experienced too!  Anyway: reasons to go back again.  Excited!
blog comments powered by Disqus