Sunday, April 29, 2012

how one merengue made my night

I've started going out for salsa nights again recently, after having nearly abandoned it in my social dancing life what with all the swing and blues dancing I've been doing over the past couple years.  I love the atmosphere and usually enjoy the DJing at Brasil's, but I'm still trying to figure out a pattern as to which nights typically have good attendance and good dancers.

This past Friday turned out to be a little emptier than I had hoped for, so I was panning the floor in between dances to seek out who might be good to ask next (as opposed to the busier nights where I might barely be able to escape the floor to grab a cup of water -- not always such a bad thing).  Towards the end of the night, my new merengue obsession song came on.  I wasn't about to miss out on it, so I figured a good bet might be to ask a lead with whom I had danced a nice bachata early in the night.

Turned out he was pretty good at merengue too.  Then halfway through the song he said, "You know, I don't usually like merengue very much."  I was a little surprised -- he clearly wasn't clueless on how to dance it.  And I felt complimented since I took this to mean he was enjoying it more with me.  So I told him this was one of my favorite songs, and he responded, "I can feel it."  I pretty much glowed inside at this.  To me it meant I had made a connection with him, even though we had never met or danced before.

I was all smiles and happiness as we finished out that song and danced the next one too.
blog comments powered by Disqus