Tuesday, April 24, 2012

dreamed of dancing

For years, the only dreams I have been able recall when I wake up are disturbing, uncomfortable, or unsettling somehow.  I wouldn't call them nightmares because they aren't directly scary, but they do leave me wishing for someone to comfort me when I wake up -- or at least trying to push them out of memory as soon as possible.  I often wish friends "sweet dreams" when I say goodnight because of how rarely I experience the same in my own sleep.

Yet, yesterday morning, I awoke from a beautiful, strong moment in a dream.  I was dancing with a partner on a wide open smooth wood floor.  The atmosphere held a feeling of lightness and flow.  Others may have been there, but they were at the far-off perimeters of the space, their existence muted to my awareness.  I don't know who my partner was, but sensed he was someone meaningful, someone skilled, important to the realm of dancing at large yet also somehow to me.  I felt that while I knew what I was doing, knew how to move with him, it took my special effort and concentration to keep up.  It was an edge which I had been invited to cross, because maybe I could.

The movement was lyrical and sweeping and expressive,  far from that of a quiet close embrace, yet just as emotionally powerful.  I felt a layer of nervousness almost like it was supposed to be there, but greater was the feeling of letting go, being taken by moving to the music with this person.  And I knew that I was reaching it, this level that I felt lucky to have been offered, doubting whether I was worthy.  I was there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment