Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Red Bull

So I think I've had Red Bull maybe 5 times total in my life. I guess the real caving in began when I started switching over from getting hot chocolates to getting mochas at Starbucks in Commons during freshman year. (Lattes, caramel macchiatos [sp??], cinnamon dolce lattes, and frappucinos have since followed.) Not that I didn't stay up crazy late working on homework and projects in high school, but somehow when I started doing that in college, I found I could no longer stay awake in classes the next day :P. And hence my new interest in coffee took on a new purposeful role, thanks to its caffeine... But anyway. Though John was kind of getting into Red Bull sophomore year, I shied away from it. I suppose I thought it was weird to consume this drink just for the caffeine effects...? Of course such effects were probably more often than not a major reason why I drank so much coffee, haha.

Anyhow, my first Red Bull was kind of on impulse. I'd gone to Savory to eat and hopefully cram tons of last-minute physics into my head before the final exam at 6pm. This didn't exactly happen, though I enticed Dan to come study with me by offering to buy him food haha. And I just kinda saw the Red Bull fridge thing there and got one. I'd tried it before, but still thought it tasted weird. Carbonated, not quite as sweet as soda, a taste rather unique and hard to put into words.

Well, soon after starting my internship, I discovered that Matt's daily caffeine source is Red Bull. (I think he's got one of those six-can mini fridge things in which to keep a stock of them.) One day early on he offered me one, and what can I say, I was tired (and even as of now I still don't know how to find my way to the Starbucks that is supposedly somewhere in the building complex), so I said, "Okay, ... this is my second Red Bull ever haha.." Since then, he has supplied me with a few more... Tuesday morning he walked in and said "Red Bull, anyone?" I think I just laughed and he handed me one. Today he didn't even ask - just placed it on my desk, lol. And now that I've had several, I think I am coming around on the taste...

One final comment:
Today as I was leaving work, I still had a third of a can or so left, so I figured I'd pour it into my water bottle and thus be able to recycle the can yet not waste what was left in it... Well, I poured it in, looked at it - in all its yellow carbonated-ness - for a few seconds, took a drink, looked again, laughed, and thought: "...Now I definitely understand why Red Bull comes in a can." (I ended up pouring it out after all, hahaha.)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

i'm http://haughtymelodic.blogspot.com and umm see on the left bar under favorites it says "tory"? that's you, lol, tell me if you want me to take it down. i guess this is sort of my going abroad blog.

btw, dude, did i ever tell you about my first red bull experience, the night before my math 114 final all-nighter?? baaaad idea haha... i haven't had any since then

Rebecca said...

Yuck! I don't know how you can drink that stuff. Is there more caffeine in Red Bull than a cup of coffee? For some reason, I feel like energy drinks would keep me wired way longer. Not that I actually know since I've never had more than a sip of any energy drink, and I've never tried Red Bull.

Hope you're having a good day at work! I'm boredddddd.

But guess what...I'm eating lunch today (if you know what I mean). Stories tonight?

<3

Anonymous said...

Haha yeah, I never really had Red Bull or any other energy drink before now... It's kind of an acquired taste, maybe? Matt seems to want to get me hooked on it or something.

Wikipedia provides a caffeine comparison chart. I'd always thought energy drinks would have way more caffeine than coffee, but (surprisingly) apparently they're sorta comparable (see the per-serving amounts). Usually I don't feel wired, per say, but at least caffeine manages to keep me awake. Most of the time. :)

Post a Comment